This website was developed and is maintained by the North Central Wisconsin Area Health Education Center.

Biological/Research Scientist
Biological/Research scientists study reproduction, growth and development, function, structure, behavior and other aspects of living organisms to develop medicines, prevent disease, and promote health.

   audiologist low.wmv

Note: Windows Media Player is required to play this file. Click here to download Windows Media Player.

Anatomist – studies organ structure in animals and applies to human medicine. Biochemist – researches how various substances affect living organisms and their functions. Biophysicist – studies and analyzes mechanical and electrical energy in living cells and tissues. Epidemiologist – studies the causes and spread of diseases among populations and determine ways to prevent or control diseases. Geneticist - studies characteristics and inherited traits of humans and animals. Histopathologist - studies how disease affects human and animal tissues. Microbiologist - examines and studies characteristics of bacteria and other microorganisms. Pharmacologist - analyzes the effects of drugs and other materials on human and animal tissue and functions of the biological system. Physicist - researches physical phenomena and applies the theory and laws of physics to industry, medicine and other areas.

Work Activities/Environment
Biological Research Scientists work as consultants, or they are employed by private companies such as chemical or pharmaceutical, research facilities, the government, and laboratories. Some scientists may work in management positions. They may work in laboratories, hospitals or depending upon the specialty, outside of a laboratory, in classrooms, or offices. They work regular hours, 40-hours a week, although if working in field research, hours can vary and the work may be physically demanding.

Academic/Special Requirements
High school students should study biology, chemistry, mathematics, and related courses. Students who successfully complete a bachelor’s degree can usually work in non-research positions, or as biological, science or engineering technicians. Other graduate students continue their education in a health professions school or specialized field. An advanced degree such as a Ph.D. is usually required for college teaching, independent research or advancement.

Educational Institutions
Alverno College
Beloit College
Cardinal Stritch University
Carroll University
Carthage College
Concordia University
Edgewood College
Lakeland College
Lawrence University
Maranatha Baptist University
Marian University
Marquette University
Mount Mary College
Northland College
Ripon College
Silver Lake College
St. Norbert College
University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh
University of Wisconsin - Parkside
University of Wisconsin - Platteville
University of Wisconsin - River Falls
University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
University of Wisconsin - Superior
Wisconsin Lutheran College

Average $62,820

Professional Organizations
American Association for Clinical Chemistry
900 Seventh St., NW Suite 400
Washington, DC, 20001
202/857-0717 or 800/892-1400

American College of Epidemiology
1500 Sunday Drive, Suite 102
Raleigh, NC, 27607

American Institute of Biological Sciences
1800 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 400
Reston, VA, 20191
703/674-2500 or 800/992-2427

American Physiological Society
9650 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD, 20814-3991

American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
11200 Rockville Pike, Suite 302
Rockville, MD, 20852-3110

American Society for Microbiology
1752 N. St NW
Washington, DC, 20036-2904
202/737-3600 or 202/942-9319

Society for Epidemiologic Research
PO Box 990
Clearfield, UT, 84089

Home | Healthcare Occupations | WI Educational Institutions | Professional Organizations | Programs and Resources
Close Survey