- Dentists diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth, gums, and related oral structures.
- Examine patients to determine conditions and diseases using x-rays and a variety of dental instruments.
- Clean, fill, extract and replace teeth and provide preventive
dental services such as instruction on proper diet, brushing and
flossing as well as placing protective plastic sealants on teeth,
straightening teeth, and performing corrective surgery on the gums and
supportive bones to treat gum disease.
- Most are in private practice and usually work with a Dental Hygienist, Dental Assistant, and office and billing staff.
- May be a part of a dental or medical group, or they may work in a hospital, Public Health Department, or the military.
- There is an EXTREME shortage of Dentists in Wisconsin. Soon there will be entire counties without a Dentist.
- Dentists like helping people. Pediatric Dentists love to work with and treat children.
- Usually enjoy prestige in the community and higher incomes.