Medical Assistant (MA)/Certified (CMA)/Registered (RMA)
- Medical Assistants assist physicians in their offices and other medical settings.
- The main focus for MAs lies in two areas: welcoming and
assisting patients and supporting doctor to keep workflow going. Can
perform a wide variety of duties including completing patient’s medical
records before seen by doctor, taking their vital signs, educating them
on methods to improve their health, and show them how to take their
- In the business side, they can answer telephones, arrange for
patient’s hospital stay, schedule appointments and perform other
- They can prepare patient exam rooms, maintain patient records
and charts, and give the physician instruments as needed during
examinations and procedures.
- Some are trained to perform injections and to operate
diagnostic testing equipment such as X-ray machines and
- Can work in clinics, physicians’ private offices, and hospitals
that are hiring them for their outpatient clinics as part of a health
care team. Also work in local, and regional medical centers, walk-in
clinics, and ambulatory wellness clinics.
- Enjoy working with and helping people. They must be able to accept
responsibility and be accurate when working with details and records.
- Desirable characteristics include empathy, tact, and effective communication skills.
- Enjoy doing a variety of tasks.
- Some think their pay should be higher for all the responsibilities they have.