Medical Coding Specialist/Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Medical Coding Specialists review medical documents provided by
Physicians and other healthcare providers and translates this into
numeric codes. The Coding Specialist assigns codes to procedures and
diagnosis using a universally recognized coding system.
- The reimbursement to the healthcare provider is dependent on
the diagnostic and procedural codes assigned. Knowledge of both the
medical and business sides of healthcare make this an interesting
- These entry-level Medical Coding Specialists work in healthcare
facilities such as hospitals, clinics, Physician practice groups,
surgery centers, long-term care facilities, and home healthcare
- They are also employed by consulting firms, coding and billing
services, insurance companies, governmental agencies and computer
- They work in office environments using medical records and computer.
- Some would like more patient contact.
- There is sometimes frustration with expectations of speed and accuracy.