Phlebotomist/Phlebotomy Technicians (PBT)
- Phlebotomists are trained in the collection of blood specimens by
venipuncture, skin puntures, and arterial punctures. Also trained to
apply tourniquets, locate veins and insert needles to draw blood.
- Usually supervised by a Medical Technologist.
- Can converse with patients and donors to reduce fear of the
procedure, as well as screen blood donors regarding their medications,
drug use, and sexual activities.
- Work in hospital laboratories, private laboratories, clinics, large medical offices, outpatient services,
or blood banks.
- Enjoy working with people.
- Can worry about contracting blood-borne and infectious diseases.