Surgical Technologist (ST)/Certified Surgical Technologist (CST)
- Surgical technologists sometimes referred to as Operating Room
Technicians become an integral member of the surgical team. They provide
patient care before, during, and after surgery with a primary
responsibility for maintaining the sterile field.
- They work in an operating room setting, under the direct supervision of registered nurses and surgeons.
- Surgical technologists enjoy their jobs because they are interesting and challenging and they are helping people as well.
- They should possess manual dexterity and good fine motor
coordination, be able to perform accurately and efficiently under
pressure, function well as a team member, and possess a strong sense of
- Surgical technologists work in clean, well-lighted, cool environments.
- They must stand for long periods and remain alert during operations.
- At times they may be exposed to communicable diseases and unpleasant sights, odors, and materials.